- is able to describe carbon cycle and discuss climate change issues
- is able to survey the EU impacts on reduction of carbon emissions in the future and analyze their consequences
- is able to discuss current possibilities for climate change mitigation in urban settings
- is able to search for information and scientific research results concerning the climate change topics
- is able to develop applications of mitigation in urban settings
Current research results and understanding of the climate change as a phenomenon including carbon cycle. Urbanization as a global challenge in planning of built environment. Possibilities and challenges in mitigation of climate change in urban areas. Urban floods and stormwater management. Possibilities to manage carbon emissions in different levels; national, regional and local.
Pre-course assignment, groupwork during intensive week, assignment.
Archer, D. 2013. Global Warming : understanding the forecast. Hoboken, NJ : John Wiley & Sons.
Cahill, T. 2012.Low impact development and sustainable stormwater management. Hoboken, NJ : John Wiley & Sons.
Emmanuel, R.; Baker K. 2012. Carbon Management in the Built Environment. London: Routledge.
Kuismanen, K. 2008. Climate-conscious architecture-design and wind testing method for climates in change. Oulu : University of Oulu.
Pickett, S. T. A. ; Cadenasso, M. L. ; McGrath, Brian. 2013. Resilience in ecology and urban design : linking theory and practice for sustainable cities. Dordrecht : Springer.
Watson, Donald ; Adams, Michele. 2011. Design for flooding : architecture, landscape, and urban design for resilience to flooding and climate change. Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley & Sons.