Part 1. Physiotherapy of children and the youth 3 ECTS
- understands how growth affects to child´s functioning
- is able to adapt physiotherapy with children
- knows the principles of physiotherapy in neurological problems: support motor development, avoid/relax spasticity,
activate muscles etc
- is able to assess motor functions and see what is not normal
- is able to use different measurements in assessment of motor development (suckling, pre-school, adolescent)
- can assess the posture and plan physiotherapy which fits to findings
- can the basics of breathing therapy with children: positions, equipment
- is aware of differences in interaction between children
- recognizes the meaning of co-operation with the parents, school, day-care etc.
Measurements (motor development), support motor development, manual guidance, assess breathing and exercise, assess neurological symptoms and treatment, therapy equipment, aids, diseases and basics of physiotherapy about the way among children, future challenges.
Lääketieteelliset aineet, Toimintakyvyn orientoiva arviointi, Toimintakyvyn tukeminen, Asiakkuus kuntoutustyössä, Fysioterapia keskus- ja ääreishermoston toimintarajoitteiden kuntoutumisessa, Fysioterapia tuki- ja liikuntaelimistön toimintarajoitteiden tutkimisessa ja kuntoutumisessa, Liikunta terveyden ylläpitäjänä, Harjoittelu 1, 2, 3, 4.
Mode of completion and evaluation
Lectures, learning exercises, seminars, case-study, exam. Part of the course will be in net. Evaluation 1 - 5.
Level 5 Student
- is able to choose the appropriate measurement tools and analyzing methods, can do the reasoning, physiotherapy goals according the ICF levels, and choose the appropriate physiotherapy methods, use the methods in variety way in multidisciplinary cooperation together with the family
Level 3 Student
- can analyse the deviation of motor skills
- can use the results of the measurement and analyzes when planning the physiotherapy process
- is able to use the typical physiotherapy methods in many ways and by noticing the disease and the phase of development of the child
- is able to search the evidence based research and to use it for development of the clinical work
- is able to reasoning the choices in physiotherapy and to reflect own work
Level 1 Student
- is able to take account the specialty of children to be as a client ( development, environment, family)
- is able to analyze the motor skills and recognize, what is not normal
- is able to use variety of measurement tools for analyzing the daily activity and functional ability
- knows the nature of physiotherapy of the most typical diseases of children
- is able to co-operate together with the network of the child ( parents, day care center, school)
- understands the benefit of multi-disciplinary work to the rehabilitation of the children
Material will be informed at the beginning of the course.
Part 2. Constructors of wellbeing II – family perspective 2 ECTS
- is able to strengthen family well-being in collaboration with social and health care professionals
- enhances multi-cultural competence
- understands and applies multi-professional and “network based” methods in supporting family well-being
- consults and utilizes the expertise of different professions in social and health care in supporting family well-being
Multiprofessional ways to support multicultural families in different life situations, social and health care services for families, multiprofessional orientation to network based methods.
Mode of completion and evaluation
Casework, demonstration, lectures, individual work. Evaluation passed / failed.
Current material will be informed at the beginning of the course.
Campbell, S., Palisano, R. & Orlin, M. 2012. Physical Therapy for children. St. Louis Missouri: Elsevier.
Salpa, P. 2007: Lapsen liikkumisen kehitys- ensimmäinen ikävuosi. Jyväskylä: Gummerus.
Salpa, P. & Autti-Rämö, I. 2010.Lapsen ensimmäinen vuosi. Kehitys ei etene odotetusti, mitä tehdä? Livonia: Tammi.
Zukunft-Huber, B. 1991. Vauva oppii liikkumaan. Lapsen ensimmäinen vuosi. Jyväskylä: Gummerus.
Autio, T. 1995. Liiku ja leiki. Motorisia perusharjoitteita lapsilla. Jyväskylä: Gummerus.
Zimmer, R. 2011. Psykomotoriikan käsikirja.. Keuruu: Otava.